04. MORTLAKE WAR MEMORIAL
Cnr. Jamieson Ave & Officer St, Mortlake
After travelling through the spectacular Avenue of Honor down past the Shire Offices and local Churches. The Memorial stands to the left of the Hamilton Hwy (the Peace Tree, planted 1919 flanks the right), intersecting with the main street, and road to Terang. Erected in 1922, in memory of those district men who died from injuries received during WW1. The memorial was financed by public subscriptions, designed and built by Messrs Wooles & Carpenter of Warrnambool and cost four hundred and fifty pounds sterling.
This soldier stands guard over the town and all memorial services. For all who sacrificed, many with their lives, to protect their nation, way of life, town and loved ones.
Peace Tree, planted in 1919, stands opposite the Soldier's Memorial, at the entrance to Mortlake's Main Street.