Burwood NSW War Memorial
Burwood Park and the First World War Memorial -
Burwood is a suburb located in the Inner West of Sydney and 12km west of the central business district. The First World War Memorial was built at the south eastern entrance of Burwood Park and unveiled on the 25thof April 1923, inscribed with the names of the 941 service personnel from the Burwood area who served the nation, 149 of these men made the ultimate sacrifice. The south eastern entrance of Burwood Park is located on Burwood Road, a road that contains several buildings on the NSW Heritage Register and where the trams were located until 1948. The structure of the memorial is known as a 'Victory Arch', as it celebrates the victory of war with the inscription of the Biblical quote "Thanks to Unto God who gave us this Victory". As of 2015, ex-service personnel march down Burwood Road to the Burwood War Memorial Arch which remains the location of the Anzac Day Dawn Service for Burwood residents.
References-"Australian ANZACs in the Great War: 1914-1918." The AIF Project. https://www.aif.adfa.edu.au/index.html
"Local History." Burwood Council. http://www.burwood.nsw.gov.au/our_burwood/history/local_history.html
Graph 1 - The chart displays the locality of service personnel who served in WW1 and are commemorated on the Burwood War Memorial. The majority of service personnel were residents of Burwood, however residents from the surrounding villages of Strathfield, Croydon and Enfield were also listed on the Burwood War Memorial. During the First World War the Municipality of Burwood included Enfield and certain fractions of Strathfield and Croydon. There were also numerous Burwood residents who were listed on the Australian Archives but weren't commemorated on the Burwood Memorial, it is possible that they could be listed on a memorial in one of the surrounding towns.
Regan Cameron, Macquarie University