eBooks for Accessibility
Macquarie University is launching what we hope will be the first of many texts transcribed into eBook format.
We encourage you to download Macquarie University's first eBook, 10,000 Books, 10,000 Miles by Professor Steven Schwartz.
eBooks empower students
eBooks are redefining the traditional textbook approach to Higher Education. MQAS eBooks allow us to supply learning material that:
- use universal design principles to ensure all students irrespective of the learning and sensory needs have access to the content.
- automatically repurposes to fit the scale and format of any users mobile device, whether a smart phone, computer tablet or laptop.
- delivers a rich learning experience, embedding audio and video within text to increase interactivity.
- enables students and teachers to personalise their learning experience by changing the fonts and font sizes to suit their needs.
- creates freedom for students who now only need to carry one mobile device instead of bundles of books.
- is both more sustainable and cheaper than hardcopy textbooks, offsetting the initial cost of a smart phone or computer tablet.
- allows students to download study texts, when and where they want, instead of waiting in long queues at the University bookshop.
- makes best use of the accessibility functions of many mobile devices, especially the iPhone and the iPad. Students can listen to content being read out to them, or to enlarge the text and magnify the screen.
Most importantly, eBook content can be accessed by the widest possible audience.
Macquarie University Accessibility Services is currently developing and publishing a range of eBooks through Macquarie Lighthouse eBook Publishing.
MQAS and eBook Publishing
Macquarie University Accessibility Services (MQAS) has been converting learning materials into accessible formats since 2005. The MQAS team have the unique expertise in education, design, web, video and accessibility required to create and publish eBooks that are accessible, pedagogically sound, engaging and aesthetically pleasing.
In consultation with the author, subject and media experts, MQAS will create the most appropriate eBook format to reach the largest audience, maintaining academic authenticity and facilitating educational outcomes.
MQAS can assign an ISBN number and publish your eBook through Macquarie Lighthouse EBook Publishing, distributing it online through your Learning Management System or preferred outlet. MQAS can also arrange for peer reviewers.
- Open iTunes on your computer
- Sync your iPad with your computer
- Download the 'the_journey_towards_wisdom.epub' file onto your computer desktop
- Drag this 'epub' file onto your iPad (as it appears under the devices list in the left column of your iTunes).
- It will automatically load to your iBooks Library on your iPad
- Open in your iBooks Library